Sunday, October 23, 2011

It will become me !

My dear father often speaks of the first time he saw her….when she was coming down the stairs in the black satin saree...hmmm.....


Though they were cousins but that was may the first time he noticed her.


I also have little memory of seeing her in the same attire in the family gatherings in my childhood…and whenever I saw her in the black satin saree I remembered what my father revealed to me…


Today I was under her roof….seeing her is in my routine now...


I was waiting for her in the living room....looking up….I saw a portrait on the wall…of a beautiful girl…in a curious….old-time costume.


The soft dark eyes and regal turn of the head told me that it was my hostess in her youth….and even as I looked….and wonder on her sparking beauty…


I heard the rustle of the cloths….and smelt the faint odor of sandalwood….and she came softly in..hmmm…..bearing a parcel.


“I think you might like to have it…I don’t expect you to wear it…but I think if you ever try it out…it will become you….” She handed me the parcel with faint smile.


I saw her hands trembling due to the weakness and illness she is going through nowadays…


I took the parcel…put it on my laps…lifted fold on fold of tissue paper…hmmm…..I looked….expecting fairy thing of lace and muslin….I saw - - the black satin saree.


“I think the saree will become you; it has been considered handsome.” She glanced fondly at the shining fabric.


hmm....I sighed….and said.


“Definitely I will try it out mother….and I am sure it will become me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment