Sunday, February 10, 2013

Your death transformed me!

My mother died the same day in 2012.

In the first months afterward..hmm...I felt an intense desire to write down the story of her death...to tell it over and over to friends.

I jotted down stray thoughts and memories in the middle of the night.

I used to be the happy-go-lucky type. You know...the one who always saw the proverbial silver lining.

This all changed in a few hours. My mother and I never had a perfect relationship...hmm...but who does?

We were friends...as well as family and definitely had our share of troubles.

But...we always worked past them and never doubted that we loved each other.

My mother's house was the town gathering place for friends and family. The moment you walked through the door, the smell of meal hit you first, followed by my mother's smile and warm greeting of welcome.

Morning..noon or night...you would find people around the kitchen table drinking tea…eating. This tradition had been handed down from my grandmother.

When our maid called me that mom is not responding and went to sleep between taking her tea.

I went into denial mode..hmm...not about her having gone to bed...but about the fact that she would die.

When I took her to the hospital...I really thought it would be like last time and she would spend a couple of weeks there..until she was stronger..and then come home.

When the doctor came out and told me that she had been peacefully dead long I should call the family...I went into protective mode.

I cared not what anyone else thought...only how I could make this easier on her. I wailed…I am sorry I never thought of myself crying like a little baby but I did…I cried a lot but soon I regain myself and my first call was to my eldest sister.

And I said to my elder sister…”I guess Ammi is going to dine today with Abbu”…to which my sister replied…”Don’t say this please…I promised her to bring her new mugs…besides she never liked Abbu….” Then she started crying and said…”I never dreamed she would go on to do that so soon.”

All of the family made it to her funeral. Having a large family was such a blessing at that time. All the support we gave each other, and our friends were wonderful and helpful too.

It was when they went home that it all started to sink in and when I began my transformation.

I am not sure how it happened..but I now find myself being cynical...seeing the bad rather than the good in people and situations..argumentative and sometimes just plain rude and mean.

I hate this !

I was never like this before..but I don't know how to change it.

My husband has been wonderful through it all...but I know it has to wear on his nerves.

I still find myself crying in the shower or while taking meal. I catch myself getting angry at even the smallest things.

I wear my heart on my sleeve and always think the worst first...whether it is about them or what they think of me.

I don't wish my mother back here..she is much better off where she is.

No pain...hmm...heartache or sorrow.

Although...I do think of a lot of things I would have liked to discuss with her...questions still unanswered and things I wish I had said.

But lets face the fact...every loss transform us sometimes the loss perfected our character sometimes snatched all the hopes...faith and happiness.

8 comments:

  1. Greetings,

    Thank you for sharing this.

    Death, an inevitable, is so hard. Your words convey that it has not destroyed your love.

    All good wishes,

    robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. god bless her soul. she is still in u, look deep within, I am sure u will find us with all the answers always

    ReplyDelete
  3. in my Catholic religion we believe despair and discouragement are from the evil one and when those thoughts consume us we have the power to chase them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this post now, especially at this time when I am being supper nostalgic and protective about my family, makes me a bit emotional.
    Some relations CAN NEVER be replaced I guess.
    I felt your words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living or deceased, mother is a precious gold which remains a security feature for all times to come.
    While alive, she prays for you and takes care of you, and when she dies - her sweet memories are your leader.
    In other words, dead or alive --she is with you.
    May God promote her ranks in jannah (Firdaus at least).
    Take care HR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mothers are the backbone of family life and you will and do miss her.

    Let your anger of her death leave you and return to being the daughter she knew and loved - for she would not want you to grieve so. Let your memories of her be a warm place in your heart and a celebration of her life.

    It is natural to worry about things said or unsaid, things done or not done - but she knew you well and knew your heart.

    Take care and treat your self kindly.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am saddened reading your post. :( I might never cope up if it happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your sadness; my beautiful Dad died at home last year as well. It does transform you in a way it is hard to put into words. Whatever you are feeling is okay because trying to process this is so difficult... My heart goes out to you
    DL

    ReplyDelete